Friday 26 April 2019

To Go or Not to Go ...


As I sat filling in my WeBS form online (at 4am) from last Sundays count. I pondered a visit to Holy Island. The afternoon rainstorm on Thursday had not materialised, just a light shower. 

Nevertheless I decided to make my first visit of the year and thought I might get a flycatcher or Whinchat. My first observation was a flock of 50 Fieldfare landing briefly in the churchyard trees before continuing East.


Then 3 Pied Flycatchers. Yes! There were birds about (these are not necessarily in the order seen). A couple of Wheatears, Sev Willow/Chiffs, Goldcrests, 3 Whinchats, Yellow Wag, 3 Lesser Whitethroats, SEO, 


... and this beauty!


Subalpine Warbler 

At first I thought I must be mistaken, but no, it was pinky/orange. I put the news out on RBA as a probable knowing that SR was on the island. Then as soon as he saw the bird and confirmed I wasn't hallucinating I put the news out again. I'm not too confident about assigning it to a race but hopefully someone may be able to from the photos














Sadly it and the nearby Redstart and Lesser Whitethroat disappeared. Even a check back later was negative in very windy conditions. Hopefully it is refound on the island tomorrow when the wind eases.

Thanks to SR for confirmation of ID.


No comments:

Post a Comment