Friday 31 October 2014

Where are the Thrushes?


Post holding telephone cables Druridge. (Tree without branches as far as this Woodpecker is concerned.)



The light quality recently has been poor, as a result lots of grainy photographs.



This was a surprise find flying over the reedbed and into he trees.




Thoughts of American Wigeon as I scanned and found this green-headed bird. However a quick glance showed it had a lot of Malard characteristics. (Wigeon x Mallard hybrid)


The birding has been hard this week but I've still managed some good common finds: Woodcock, Twite, Short-eared Owl, Bearded Tit.

This year I haven't found anything really extraordinary and yet I've had more time to look. I think it goes to show that finding unusual birds is 99% luck. Right place, right time!

Even today as I walked round the last cove at Newbiggin, a bird with a white rump flew away from me. October 31st it had to be good. Surely not my fourth? I carefully made my way around the point and there it was ... 'Bog-Standard' Wheatear. A late bird and good to see ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment