Tuesday 26 July 2016

Waders ... at last!



Third Cuckoo of the year at Chevington. The last two have feasted on the Cinnabar Moth Caterpillars and thanks to MF I'm assured they have no negative effect (despite being full of toxins).


This latest bird has two white patches on its head. It is also replacing the outer tail feathers.


Small Skipper (must check)


Early Thorn (moth)
Holds its wings like a butterfly but has comb like antennae. Found this one in the garden while picking Raspberries.


Drinker Moth Caterpillar


A very tatty Garden Tiger (not in the garden).

OK so I'll get to the waders eventually!


This first year Avocet has colour rings on its tibiae. The colours were hard to discern but I think I found the project co-ordinator. Waiting for a reply, I think he rings Avocets in the Norfolk area.



This morning I photographed the same bird and now the ring colours are clearer. It is definitely the project I found so I've sent updated photos.



Cresswell has suddenly become a haven for waders. Ruff, Greenshank, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Ringed Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Black-tailed Godwit, Knot, Curlew, Whimbrel, Redshank and this bonny Curlew Sandpiper.



This morning it flew from the area near the hide and landed very close to me on the causeway pool.


Little Egrets are becoming a common sight nowadays but they are still worth studying and they are very photogenic.




No comments:

Post a Comment