Wednesday 27 July 2016

Eclectic Mix


A few young Newts on the path at Druridge this morning.

Then on to Allingtons, Ashington, to drop off my car for its service. I have to say this is the best garage I've come across. Customer Service is excellent. My little car seems very well built and reliable (touching wood).


As the garage is near Castle Island I left to re-visit the Bonaparte’s Gull.  It was very obliging and on one occasion flew to reveal its little pink legs. A supporting cast of; 7 L Egrets, 1 LRP, 1 R. Plover, Lots of Blk T Godwits and 4 Goosander made it a pleasant walk. Arriving back to find my car was almost ready … excellent. 







My interest in plants has increased over the last few weeks and I realise now how little I know. Just like birding however, get to know the common stuff and then you start to notice other plants.

Still making lots of mistakes though …




1,2 and 3 Wild Parsnip Pastinaca sativa
Thought to be a ‘Ballast Plant’ in Northumberland. Seeds carried in the ballast materials in ships and dumped on the river banks. (These plants were on the banks of the Wansbeck.)

4 Comfrey Symphytum oficinale
5 and 6 Field Scabious Knautia arvensis
7 Lady’s Bedstraw Galium verum
8 ??? Bedstraw(haven’t worked this out yet
9 Sea Rocket (?) Cakile maritime
10 Frosted Orache Atriplex laciniata









No comments:

Post a Comment