Friday 16 September 2016

Good Decision


Yesterday (15th Sept) I decided to check all the Bay (most of the bay from Hadston and on to Newbiggin) for migrant birds. My rewards were: Redstarts, Goldcrests, Lesser Whitethroat and Wheatears. News (via AMc 'WhatsApp') alerted me to a good fall on Holy Island. It was 11am and I had time to drive there and remain on the island over the high tide.





Was it worth it?
YES!


Yellow-browed Warblers (at least 3)


Red-breasted Fly proved difficult to capture at first in Snook Plantation but this bird although very mobile did favour a more open canopy (probably because it was bullied out of the other trees by several Willow/Chiffs).


Thanks to AM for finding all these birds.



MC was also on the island and had a photo of his star find, (Pallid Harrier) sadly it as too foggy to relocate. It will be interesting to see if it is still around over the next few days. 

Spotted Flycatcher, Whinchat and Redstart were some of the supporting cast. Slept well last night and can't wait to get out and explore this morning. Already PG Tips found at Spurn, not sure I'm okay with it being kept in a bag for over 30 mins to be paraded in front of audience? Although it's a bit hypocritical of me as this was how I saw my only Radde's Warbler. Won't do it again though; even if it is a male Siberian Rubythroat.

No comments:

Post a Comment