Wednesday 25 May 2016

A Few Calls


After a busy holiday it is always difficult to slip back into patch birding mode.


These safety notices and the bank-holiday weekend fun run do not help. I imagine the track at Chevington will be closed on Sunday.


When I left for Arizona the first few Whitethroats had arrived, now, they're everywhere.


Breeding is well underway with our commoner birds. Fully fledged Stonechats, rows of Shelduck ducklings, scattered lapwing chicks and goslings (say no more).


Tuesday I got a call from JA (Thanks John) to let me know about a Little Stint on the tiny flash North of Druridge pools. It was accompanied by 5 Ringed Plover and 1 Dunlin. It remained fairly settled despite the best action of barking dog, farmer's quad and rampaging cattle.


This morning, while seawatching, I received a text from AC (thanks Andy) to let me know about a Bonaparte's Gull at Castle Island, Ashington.  This bird hung around long enough for some record shots. It spent most of the time facing into the stiff, cool breeze. Then it decided to fly, but headed away towards  the A189 road bridge. I'm sure it will still be around the area.


I resumed my seawatching and best birds of the morning were 10 Manx Shearwaters close in from Snab.


No comments:

Post a Comment