Thursday 26 November 2015

Big Numbers ... Guesstimates


Great week so far SEOs everywhere but not close to the camera. As the winter progresses I'm sure there'll be better opportunities. Tonight I watched one sitting on a fence post for over an hour, (distance 1 mile) I guess it had just had a meal.


Feeders at Chev are starting to pull in a good number of birds (although my grit tray may be untouched).



Starling Spetacular



I estimated the roost at 5,000

I ought to print out a picture and count the dots. I'm sure there is a minimum of 3,000. I was encouraged to see a group of children were visiting the roost and that staff from their school were encouraging an appreciation of the Natural World. 



Fab bird, poor light :-(


2-3000 Pink-footed Geese in the field north of Druridge.


Back to the Starling Roost tonight. The light faded quickly but the birds gave a fabulous show. Lots of shape-shifting but a bit too difficult to photograph. The Marsh Harrier remains and went to roost quite early, on one of the old nests.





No comments:

Post a Comment