Wednesday 1 March 2023

End of the Month (February)

 


Siskin

It is nice to be concentrating on the common, overlooked species. It will soon be the migration season and attention will be drawn to new arrivals and the possibility of unearthing a rarity. (These days however a rarity can be found any month of the year, so sifting through the commoner birds can always be rewarding.)


Shelduck


Grey Heron


Wall Screw-moss


Tufted Duck


Lapwing 

It is only when you zoom in on this image do you fully appreciated the subtle colours.


Coot

Most of these snaps were taken at WWT Washington and there seemed to be a black and white theme until ...


Common Snipe


I walked into the hide and came eyeball to eyeball with this snipe. We both froze. I knew if I lifted my camera it would be gone. So I stood still and eventually it decided to walk a little further from the hide. I was then able to spend a few minutes taking lots of pictures. Several other visitors entered the hide and I slipped away as they enjoyed the same terrific views as I had.


Avocet

Three returning birds. Several have been reported over the last two weeks. I wonder if they are just short distance migrants wintering in the South East of England and making an early return.



No comments:

Post a Comment