Sunday 12 March 2023

Waxwing




Waxwing

A Waxwing has been reported several times from King George Road this year. Unfortunately I failed to find it and presumed it was feeding on Ivy and difficult to see. Yesterday I received a call from DG (Thank You!) to tell me about one at Westoe. I couldn't go straight away so decided to go early this morning.


I was expecting to find it deep in the Cemetery  but, as I parked the car, I heard it right above me. There was no one else there and it was so tame. I enjoyed  watching it for well over an hour and took plenty of snaps as it ate some shrivelled berries.





At times it would rest near the top of the tree but then return to the lower branches to feed. I guess the dry berries will mean it will also be visiting this puddle regularly to rehydrate.



 

2 comments:

  1. Cracking shots of a beautiful bird. We've had three in our local park since February and they are minor celebrities. Birders coming up from Dublin!!

    ReplyDelete