Tuesday 19 September 2017

What a difference a day makes ...

...24 little hours


After a dismal trip to Holy Island yesterday I was amazed at how different it was today (18/09/2017) in Druridge Bay. A brief stop at the Budge Fields to see what looked like a drake Green-winged Teal emerging from its eclipse (moult) plumage. Goldcrests were moving through the trees and Redpolls dropping in to join the other finches.
 On to Cresswell and the willows behind the hide were alive with birds. Immediately I got on a Yellow-browed Warbler and decided it was worth hanging around to get a picture. The Yellow-browed warbler was unusually quiet and constantly chased by the vocal Chiffchaff. After an hour all I had were pictures of its belly. Two people arrived and I pointed out the area where the YBW was. They seemed unconcerned and headed for the hide? There were Goldcrests, Reed Buntings and Redpolls moving through the willows by now and the YBW was calling. Another Phylloscopus w.was present but not identified.
 At about 09:30 I eventually abandoned my efforts to get a decent photograph. As I left, a group birders were assembling in the car park and I let one of them know about the YBW.
 On to my patch and Redpolls were more numerous (50+) from Chev to Hadston. A Whinchat at Hadston and a Greenshank on the N Pool Chev made it a special day. I returned to Cresswell early afternoon but sadly there were too many people and  I drove by. If it doesn’t disappear overnight I’ll try for a proper photo tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment