Sunday 11 December 2022

'Beachcombing'


A short walk from Roker Park, to the Marina and back to the park along the shore. No sign of the Kingfisher which has been using the boats as a feeding platform. However, when I reached the Old North Pier the tide was in and only a small patch of beach was exposed. Most of the dog walkers were further north where there was more space. Straight away I noticed some bird activity. Along with a couple of Pied Wagtails and a Robin there was this lovely Black Redstart. I found a rock to sit on and watched as it fed around me and engaged in the odd squabble with the other birds.






The next day saw me checking a small area of beach near Whitburn, Bents Cottages. Over 500 Black-headed Gulls were feeding and a terrific Grey Wagtail (anything but Grey) was with the nearby Pipits and Pied Wagtails.



This morning, I decided to save myself the bother of removing snow and ice from the car and walked from home to Harton Cemetery. It was such a nice morning I decided to continue towards the Bamburgh Pub (without a pit stop) and on to the Leas. Then headed for the clifftops and South towards Redwell Lane.



Again, large numbers of Black-headed Gulls in the area, a skein of Pink-footed Geese flew South and Fulmars were gliding along the cliffs. I returned home via Horsley Hill.



A great morning even if the birds were in short supply.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment