Monday 25 March 2024

March


A couple of trips to Derwent reservoir and the surrounding moors this month. Always difficult birding new areas; where to park where to walk etc. You can't beat local knowledge and with the area containing some sensitive species it can be hard to get information.

So my visits weren't that successful. However I now have a key to the hide at the reservoir and I did manage to see 3 Ring Ouzels. They are early arrivals and don't always drop in on the coast.


White-fronted Geese
These geese are becoming harder to see in the North East so I was pleased to hear IH had found a family group at Boldon Flats.



Nearby a Glaucous Gull had been sighted regularly on a flooded field but I failed to catch up with it , so I was very happy to stumble across this one near Souter Lighthouse.



Lesser Black-backed Gull


Roe Deer

Newbiggin


Stonechat

After many years of snapping these beauties, I still can't resist the opportunity to photograph yet another one.



Whoopers on the move Northwards.

As always March promises much but rarely delivers. Wheatears, Sand Martins, Swallows and Willow Warblers pepper the coast as far as Yorkshire and then we have to wait until mid April for our turn. I did manage to see one Sand Martin and good numbers of Chiffchaffs so March has not been a total disappointment.

April should see the migration season kick off and for me will be helped with a week on the South coast. Fingers Crossed!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment